9.28.2004

Two days and counting down...

I was cleaning my room and packing this weekend, and I came upon a copy of Alex Garland's The Beach.

This section really intrigued me:

"Escape through travel works. Almost from the moment I boarded my flight, life in England became meaningless. Seat belt signs lit up, problems switched off. Broken armrests took precedence over broken hearts. By the time the plane was airborne I'd forgotten England even existed."

It really struck me; a week or two ago, I was torn between wanting to stay here in the US and wanting to leave for Japan, and each day would bring reasons for both. The reasons for leaving usually have to do with seeing people I never want to see again, I guess. They're not reading this blog, of course, but every time I catch a glimpse of them, I'm like, "Thank goodness I'm getting out of here. I can forget they existed."

That's not to say that I'm running away from them or anything. These people I've coexisted with for a year or two, three in one case.

Still, overall, one can say that going to Japan is something that's good anyway. Getting away from these people is just a side perk.

There are dear friends of mine that I didn't want to leave behind at all. You all know who you are. But I'm sure that they'll keep in touch, since some of them are reading this (or they better, since I'm holding up my bargain to put tons of pictures up on this site).

I leave Thursday. Mom was telling me, "don't even think about it before you go. Just do your stuff. Pack, get really busy. Otherwise you'll make yourself a nervous wreck." And she was right. Once preparations picked up I was so busy all I wanted to do was sleep after I got back home. I've been pumping myself up for the trip by talking to the fellow students also going there (Marianne, Marina, Lianting and Wiwie to name a few) and looking at Yushima Tenjin and Jishu Jinja, shrines I want to visit. Been cementing contacts with people like Ohara-sensei and Bob-san, so on and so forth.

By the time I get on the plane, I should be fully ready.