11.14.2004

Poka poka...

It's beginning to get cold here in Japan. I don't know how cold (I really need to get a look at the weather reports) , but while it was fine at 1 PM to wear a hoodie and a T-shirt, it sortakinda wasn't at say, 9 PM. Since I was out with Miwa and her mother at the time, they were really sweet and perceptive and started mentioning shouga-yuu (ginger tea), and they stopped by the basement of Shibuya Station to buy me and themselves a packet each.

I love Miwa and her mother and Miwa's sister and father. That's all. Risa (Miwa's little sis) is trying to study hard so she can finish the exams and so she can see me, which is sweet. Her mother can speak English, since she's a professor teaching it at Aoyama Daigaku, and she was the one who'd invited me to a showing of Pygmalion, which, if you don't know, was the basis for My Fair Lady.

The play was tight, really seamless. Maybe it's because I've been in theater for two years that I can appreciate what's going on, but I have to say that it was terrific overall, all things considered. Especially since there were only five people in the cast, and only two had permanent roles. The rest shifted between one or two people, and everyone was moving the screens here and there. There was no scenery, which made us focus strictly on the actors. Really tough, but they pulled it off.

The job front is looking up--thanks to Chrissy, Feng Lan's friend, I was able to put my data, along with a photo, up onto a teaching agency. So far, I have two students willing to take me on for a trial lesson, along with Hiraoka-san, a housewife who saw my flyer on the Todai campus. Wish me luck, guys, 'cause I'm going to need it to hold onto these jobs. I could use the extra pocket money for food and other personal expenses (ointment for my shoulder, clothes, manga, travel and souvenirs for family and friends).

As for academia, the next test for Japanese is Tuesday. I feel a bit more confident, but Sunday's a study day for sure, along with laundry, Inageya run and what have you. Probably will pay the phone bill then and get more research done.

Next week looks really crazy. Along with the test, I've got Hiraoka-san to tutor Monday, the field trip to Mount Takao Wednesday, Shibuya/Shinjuku fun Thursday, and hanging out with Yidan and Rie Saturday. Oh well. It's a four to five day weekend, which is more than worth it.

It also means that the scholarship money better be in my account by then, because if it's not, I'm going to be extremely annoyed. Not to mention that if that futon I ordered doesn't show up by Monday, Cecile will have a lot to answer for. Their apology gift handtowel is pretty, but it's not a mattress, blanket and pillow set and therefore not too useful.

Okay. Time to sleep.


2 Comments:

Anonymous 匿名 said...

whoaaaa. sounds like fun. :) busy jess, ne?

oh oh oh, i hate to sound like a greedy little kid, but if you haven't found anything hikaru no go (erm, provided that you've had time to even look -_-;), maybe you could look into some saiyuki stuff for me... (the one by kazuya minekura.... i'm pretty sure there's a lot of different saiyukis out there :P) if you want a suggestion, then this would be nice ;)

http://www.animate-usa.com/HTML/IMAGES/WS/SAIYUKI_SANZO_0701A.jpg

so cute! :D but yeah, like i said, don't want to be like a greedy little thing and stuff, so do whatever you feel like. :)

stay healthy out there!

--connie

8:42 午前  
Blogger Jessica said...

Yeah, don't worry. I know just what type of Saiyuki you're talking about. The wristband looks cute, but I'll have to see if I can find it at Animate when I finally get the time to hit Ikebukuro.

As for HikaGo stuff, I've only been looking in Mandarake for doujinshi, but there's a lot of HikaGo judging from the series' popularity in Animate, so if you can narrow it down a bit, that'd help.

You may want to let Dephanie know that I haven't found her doujinshi yet, but I'm going to keep trying.

2:09 午後  

コメントを投稿

<< Home